Electrical Safety information for Norfolk Landlords

We know that if you’re a Norfolk landlord, in charge of letting one or more residential properties, you have a tonne of responsibilities towards your property and tenants. The last thing we want to do, at Stanton and Stubbs, is add to that long list, but we’re big believers that arming yourself with information is a really good way to tackle any issue.

Under the Landlord and Tenant Act of 1985, landlords have a legal duty to conform to regulations, primarily to ensure the safety of their tenants. Electrical injury within the home is common when electrical installations have deteriorated over time, or very often, that sockets and switches are faulty, or have been damaged. These are simple problems to fix, but being proactive is a must to ensure the safety of all concerned.

Electrical Checks for New Builds

The regulations have stayed largely the same in recent times, but perhaps if you’re taking on a property for the first time in a long time, or you’ve been passed down information from someone who dealt with residential renting some time ago, you might not be aware of relatively recent additions to the guidance.

In 2005, there was a major addition to the regulations, with the introduction of Part P. Forgive us if this is old news, but it’s worth mentioning, as it applies to electrical checks for new builds, which might not have affected you before, but may well do now.

It also comes into force for new parts of the same “dwelling”, so extensions, conversions or any other installation that is using the prime electrical source are all under the same umbrella.

Part P ensures that “all electrical work in dwellings in England and Wales whether carried out professionally or as DIY, and whether or not the work is notifiable to a building control body, must meet the requirements of Part P of the Building Regulations.” – ESC

Right – noted, but what next?

Hiring a Registered Electrician

Many landlords will opt to take on the majority of their improvements and renovation themselves, but where tenants’ safety and the law is concerned, it often pays to call on a professional.

In any case, if the work is taken on DIY, or by a non-registered contractor, you will end up having to notify a third-party certifier within five days of completing the work.

The Landlords’ Guide to Electrical Safety

The Electrical Safety Council (www.esc.org.uk) are a really useful resource, and have produced a guide for Landlords, which is well worth being aware of.

Have a read through their pamphlet, and then if you have any speculative, or actual concerns or questions, don’t hesitate to get in touch.